How to Register to Vote
Not sure if you’re registered?
If you are not sure if you are registered or even if you think you are already registered to vote, it’s a good idea to check your registration to make sure it’s active and current. Sometimes voters are removed from the rolls, and you don’t want to wait until Election Day to find out that your registration is not current!
2 Options to Register to Vote
Option 1: Register Online
Online Voter Registration is available now through the NC DMV website to any eligible voter with a North Carolina driver’s license or DMV-issued ID card.
To register online, follow these five steps or watch the How-To Video:
(1) Visit payments.ncdot.gov
(2) Select Continue as a guest.
(3) Click Submit a voter registration application.
(4) Enter your North Carolina Driver License or DMV-issued ID Card number, Social Security number (SSN), and date of birth.
(5) You can register to vote, update your address, or change party affiliation. Updated information ONLY applies to your voter registration, not your ID — meaning you can register to vote at your current residence and it does not need to match the address on your current ID.
⚠️The online platform does not not allow users to make a name change.
Option 2: Register with a Paper Form by Mail or Drop Off
(2) Complete the form and review it carefully. Be sure you sign and date it, fill in all the questions, including your date of birth, and check all the appropriate boxes. Spell out your name as it appears on the identity document whose number you provide in Section 3. If you do not give your NC driver’s license number or the last 4 digits of your Social Security number, be sure to provide the documents requested on the form, or be prepared to show one of those documents when you first vote in person. Include a phone number on the form; it’s used by election officials to call you for missing information.
(3) Submit the Form in-person (during regular business hours) or by mail to your county Board of Elections at least 25 days before the election you want to vote in.
⚠️ Remember! You must submit the form at least 25 days before the election you want to vote in. If you don’t make this deadline, you should use Same-Day Registration during Early Voting (see below).
Same-Day Registration During Early Voting
If you miss the regular deadline to register to vote (25 days before Election Day), you can register to vote during Early Voting at any Early Voting site (but NOT on Election Day).
To use Same-Day Registration, you must provide one of the following documents to an election official at an Early Voting location:
- NC driver’s license or identity card from NC DMV
- Utility bill (electric, phone, cable, water, etc.), bank statement, or payroll stub with the voter’s name and current address
- Student photo ID, plus a school document showing the student’s address
- Any document from any government agency with the voter’s name and current address.