How to Register to Vote
Option 1: Register Online
Online Voter Registration is available now through the NC DMV website to any eligible voter with a North Carolina driver’s license or DMV-issued ID card.
To register online, follow these five steps or watch the How-To Video:
(1) Visit payments.ncdot.gov
(2) Select Continue as a guest.
(3) Click Submit a voter registration application.
(4) Enter your North Carolina Driver License or DMV-issued ID Card number, Social Security number (SSN), and date of birth.
(5) You can register to vote, update your address, or change party affiliation. Updated information ONLY applies to your voter registration, not your ID — meaning you can register to vote at your current residence and it does not need to match the address on your current ID.
⚠️The online platform does not not allow users to make a name change.
Option 2: Register with a Paper Form by Mail or Drop Off
(2) Complete the form and review it carefully. Be sure you sign and date it, fill in all the questions, including your date of birth, and check all the appropriate boxes. Spell out your name as it appears on the identity document whose number you provide in Section 3. If you do not give your NC driver’s license number or the last 4 digits of your Social Security number, be sure to provide the documents requested on the form, or be prepared to show one of those documents when you first vote in person. Include a phone number on the form; it’s used by election officials to call you for missing information.
(3) Submit the Form in-person (during regular business hours) or by mail to your county Board of Elections at least 25 days before the election you want to vote in.
⚠️ Remember! You must submit the form at least 25 days before the election you want to vote in. If you don’t make this deadline, you should use Same-Day Registration during Early Voting.