TOP THREE THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE YOU VOTE
• Make your voice count. Register to vote at your current address at least 25 days before the next Election Day.
• Save time, avoid long lines. Vote early in your county. If you wait until Election Day, vote in your precinct: demnc.co/lookup.
• Double-win! No photo ID is required to vote and you can register to vote during Early Voting using same-day registration.
WHERE SHOULD I REGISTER TO VOTE?
• What’s your registration address? In NC, it depends on where you call “home.”
• Call your college address “home” if you have no clear “intent to return” elsewhere after graduation.
PRO-TIP: Update your voter registration every time you move to a new address, even if it’s from one apartment to another in the same county.
HOW DO I REGISTER TO VOTE?
• (1/2) To register you must be (1) a U.S. citizen; (2) 18 years old by Election Day; and (3) live at your address at least 30 days before election.
• (2/2) You can register after you’ve served a felony sentence, including probation. Serving a misdemeanor sentence? Register now!
• Send your completed voter registration form to your county Board of Elections at least 25 days before Election Day. Find your Board of Election: demnc.co/myboard.
• Miss the deadline? Register + vote on the same day during Early Voting. Bring a photo ID, bill, etc.
• First-time voter in your county? You may need to show photo ID or other document with your current address. Got a utility bill? Bring it!
PRO-TIP: When filling out voter registration: write full name as appears on Social Security Number card or license + an ID number, birthdate and phone number, and sign.
PRO-TIP: When filling out a voter registration form, list a physical place for your residence like your dorm’s street address (not a box #).
HOW DO I VOTE?
• You have 3 choices for voting: (1) Early Voting; (2) Election Day; and (3) Voting by Mail (AKA “Absentee ballots”)
• Use “Early Voting” sites in your county: demnc.co/voteearly.
• Go to demnc.co/absentee to request an Absentee Ballot. Mail back (postmark) by deadline or drop at an Early Voting poll.
PRO-TIP: Use a location near your campus to increase turnout.
VOTING ON ELECTION DAY?
• Go to your own precinct’s poll from 6:30AM to 7:30PM. Find it at demnc.co/lookup.
• Straight-Ticket Voting is NOT available. Make your choice in each race. Flip the ballot. Review your ballot at ncvoter.org.
• Use your phone (or paper) to bring in a list of race choices! No photos are allowed (even selfies).
PRO-TIP: Best times to vote and avoid lines? Mid-morning (9am – 11am) or mid-afternoon (1pm – 4pm) during Early Voting or Election Day.