Skip to main content



“Once a person has served their time, they should not be made to continue paying for their past mistakes.”

—Desmond Meade, Florida Rights Restoration Coalition

If you’ve been convicted of a FELONY: you temporarily lose your right to vote.

In NC, you automatically get back your right to vote after you serve your sentence, including probation and parole. You don’t need a special document that says your rights are restored. You just register and vote like any eligible voter (see below for registration info).

If you’ve been convicted of a MISDEMEANOR: you never lose your right to vote.

You can register and vote, even if you’re still in jail. Register (info below), and complete and mail an Absentee Ballot Request Form so it arrives at your county’s board of elections at least a week before the election. Provide an address on your registration form (and absentee request) where you can receive mail – either the jail, your home, or the home of a near relative who can help you vote (spouse, brother, sister, parent, grandparent, child, grandchild, mother-in-law, father-in-law, daughter-in-law, son-in-law, stepparent, or stepchild).


Register by Mail

✔️ GET a registration form from the county Board of Elections or a public library, or download your Voter Registration Form here.

✔️ MAIL or deliver the form to your county board of elections at least 25 days before Election Day. Find your county board here.

✔️ RECEIVE a postcard in the mail from your county board of elections confirming your registration, the location of your polling place, and more!

Same-Day Registration and Voting

Not locked up? You can register to vote in-person at any Early Voting site in your county – and vote there, too. You can only do this during Early Voting (NOT on Election Day). Find your Early Voting locations and more here.

To register, bring one form of ID with your name and current address, such as NC driver’s license, utility bill, vehicle registration, or any letter, bill, license or document from a local, state, or federal government agency.

Some election laws are being challenged in court and rules could change before you vote.

Got questions?

For the latest on where or how to vote, call 888-OUR-VOTE.